Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fleshing Beam


For a while now I have had folks asking about the type of fleshing beam I use. it's difficult to explain (especially repeatatively over many phone calls) so I thought I would give everyone a visual.

As you can see, this style is very sturdy, before with the simple three-peice beam in the videos I always had trouble with the beam tipping to either side if my hide was not balanced. this was a real problem. The only way I countered it was having to be right there all the time to pin the hide between my torso and the beam.

 Now with the front of the beam stablized in an "A" frame this eliminates the problem.
The bottom ridge beam complets the frame. I preffer an angle of roughly 40 degrees, but you can make your own to suit your needs. to give you and idea of how high the top of the 4" PVC thick wall drain pipe is, it come about 2" above my navel.
Having your beam at the right height and angle pitch, is key for comfort without breaking your back. as the rough dimension wer listed before for my comfort, your may be different, you can add blocks or cut off from the base at the cak where the bottom and top ridge beams meet. and you can do the same for the "A" frame to adjust for height.

I hope this helps, and happy scraping!

1 comment:

Hazy 60 Ranch said...

thanks for the visual on the fleshing post... it really helped am hoping to get this made in the next day or two before our next big snow fall.. I have one deer processed and another ready to go. I just really want to use the hides for something instead of them going to waste thanks again looking forward to my next step..Patty